www.meat.org

03 June 2010

So much on my mind.

please just take a look at these pictures....
Ok so I have very strong opinions about certain issues, politics etc. My point of this blog is to show my family and friends what's going on with us since we are living away from them part of the year. Right now I am going to change it up just a bit. Mark and I have spent a lot of time watching CNN lately and I am sure a lot of you have also. I am so bugged by this oil "spill" as they call it, I think it's a bit bigger then that! These pictures just break my heart and they are only a tiny piece of the damage it's causing. People are saying that we will see the effects of this for at least the next 10 years. This is crazy! So anyway I am just annoyed by this and the more they show these animals affected on TV it's just killing me. Don't get gas at BP!! We have a very convenient BP gas station on the corner here and we are going out of our way to get gas elsware.

8 comments:

PAUL + ALICIA+CAPRI said...

I agree. this makes me so bad and it breaks my heart! They say that the water is black for miles and miles! I cant even believe it.. i feel so helpless that I cant do anything but not buy gas at BP... its so overwhelming. Look at the birds can you imagine whats happening to all of the ocean life? soooo sad

mckenna said...

I feel the same way about the heartbreak and devastation. I think it's ridiculous that this company (and the entire industry worldwide that is involved in deep sea drilling) weren't taking more precautions and weren't more prepared for the worst-case scenarios. Seeing images of the wildlife suffering and thinking about the economic affects to the surrounding areas is just so sad.

That said, I think you should rethink your opinion here. This country needs to be producing it's own natural resources. And oil is one of those necessary resources. BP is one of the largest producers of those resources. And you have to realize that boycotting an entire company that way will put several innocent people out of MUCH needed jobs in this economy. That includes my husband. He works for a company that is under contract with BP (although he drills for natural gas in the dessert, not oil in the ocean).

Does it really make sense to fight negativity with negativity? You'd be punishing the wrong people. There are other ways to get messages to these companies about the changes they need to be making. Legal and financial consequences regarding the clean up would make much more sense in my mind. Write your local government officials. Don't punish innocent hard working men and women who are just trying their best to keep their families fed in this economy.

Just my two cents. :)

Paityn Ann said...

Hey Mckenna! thanks for your comment, I can see how having a husband working in the oil industry would make you think that way, I feel like I need to explain more about my point of view and where it comes from. I formed my opinion from the sad dying animals while the BP people are working there 9-5's and letting all birds, fish and turtles die from 6,7,8 and on at night. My small gesture of skipping the BP station on the road isn't going to put any workers or their company out of the job. It's one small thing that I can do to express my disapproval with how they are handling the spill.

Kylee said...

AMEN PAITYN

Mary said...

That is so sad:( It breaks my heart!

Hermana Bennett said...

That is heartbreaking. And yes, I agree with you too!!! If more people would do what you're doing, maybe it would make a big enough dent that the company would take the necessary precautions to avoid things like this.

mckenna said...

These oil guys aren't working 9-5's for sure. These guys are working round the clock. Most of these guys are working near 100 hours a week and that's not even close to an exaggeration. Maybe the CEO's are working regular shifts, and maybe those guys should be who we focus on sending messages to. Some of them really are, well, words that I would not repeat in front of my children. I agree that more needs to be done and that BP was COMPLETELY irresponsible. And it's even more damage than just these poor oil covered animals. It's washing up on shorelines miles and miles away. It's going to damage ecosystems and cause problems way down the road. But crude oil is used for so much more than gas. Gas is what we automatically think of but it is actually just a small thing that these guys produce. But like I said, I agree that something should be done. Just disagree on what. (Although I don't think you should support a company just because I disagree with you. That would be super stupid of me). I say someone makes these guys legally and FINANCIALLY responsible for the efforts going on to saves these poor lives. I think it's pretty crazy that we don't already have a system in place like that. Get the bp execs who are sitting in their cushy offices hoping they won't lose another buck to shell out the money it will take for the volunteer efforts needed to do some serious good.

The McKell Family said...

Lets just say our world is corrupt.